Why do you play online Bingo?

Johnson

What motivates people to play? The winnings don't appear significant - is it due to the low entry stakes? And is it primarily a means of leisure and entertainment?

I've never tried it, but a friend of mine did once while we were out. Basically, you put in your money, and that's it. It's all done automatically, so if your numbers come up, you win, but if they don't, you lose. It seems risky because the system probably tries to make you almost win, so you keep playing. The people you're playing with, or against the computer, are a mix of different kinds of people. But you don't really talk to them, so you won't know much about them unless you play a lot. Like with any gambling, only spend what you can afford to lose. Think of every payment like throwing money out of a moving car window. If you can't afford that, don't play.

Based on what I've seen from working in a few gambling places, most of the players are addicted to gambling. The games are usually fast-paced with lots of bets, aiming to get as much money from people as they can.

It's not about Bingo, but about gambling overall. What I used to do sometimes was go to the betting shop and place a £1 bet on a sheet for a big win. I'd pick ten football teams to win, lose, or draw, without guessing the scores. The first time I did it, the potential win was £90,000, which got me really excited. Surprisingly, I guessed nine out of ten teams right that day, which made it even more thrilling.

But here's the kicker: my friend, who's addicted to gambling, saw me filling out the sheet and said one team, Birmingham versus Everton, seemed suspicious. If I had listened and left out that team, I would've won! It's frustrating to think about, but hey, that's life, right? Even if I had taken out that one team, I might not have won £90,000, but I bet I would've still gotten a decent prize, maybe over £60,000. True story!

Back