Is a $20K Bankroll Enough to Play Poker Full-Time?

I tried going pro a few years back. Lasted about 6 months before I had to quit. The variance can be brutal, and the stress is no joke. Just my two cents.
I'm surprised you're the only one who mentioned the emotional toll. Poker can be incredibly stressful, especially when it's your sole source of income.
WillyA, are you prepared for the psychological aspects of going pro?

What about trying some poker tournaments instead of cash games? With a $20K bankroll, you could play some mid-stakes tournaments and potentially hit a big score.

Has anyone considered the long-term career implications? Even if WillyA is successful for a few months, how will this gap in employment look on a resume later?

What about trying some poker tournaments instead of cash games? With a $20K bankroll, you could play some mid-stakes tournaments and potentially hit a big score.
:unsure: tournaments are high variance though. cash games are generally more stable for consistent income, which is what Willy needs if tries to make a living.

Has anyone considered the long-term career implications? Even if WillyA is successful for a few months, how will this gap in employment look on a resume later?
That's a fair point about the resume gap. But couldn't WillyA spin it as entrepreneurship or self-employment? It's all about how you frame it.

Hey everyone,
I recently quit my job and have nearly $40K saved up. My living expenses are quite low now, around $400 per month, and I don't have to worry about rent or something. I'm thinking about using half of it for playing poker full-time for a few months before I start job hunting again. Do you think a $20K is enough to play professionally during this period? Any advice or insights would be appreciated!
have you thought about compromising? maybe take a part-time job to cover your basic expenses, and use the rest of your time to play poker? that way, you're not risking everything.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely reconsidering my initial plan. Maybe I'll look into some training programs and start with a smaller bankroll while keeping my options open for regular employment. It's given me a lot to think about!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm definitely reconsidering my initial plan. Maybe I'll look into some training programs and start with a smaller bankroll while keeping my options open for regular employment. It's given me a lot to think about!
Sounds like a wise decision. There's no rush to go all-in on this career path. Take your time, build your skills, and see where it leads you. GL

Back